0% [0%] 
    [ 2 ]
    100% [100%] 

Total Votes: 2
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Re: Eva 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance Discussion *spoilers ahoy!*

Post by Gestaltgeek on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:42 am

Do you mean the God Warrior, not the insect-like Ohmu? Unsuprising because Hideaki Anno was the one who animated the God Warrior scene himself under Miyazaki.

Post by Kageshiro on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:04 am

Ah thx i edited my post and added other stuff in while u were typing that...

yea Ohma is the God Warrior, while Ohmu is the insect like things

curse the similarity in names...

I've got the "perfect 4 vol collection" in english of nausicaa manga, my dad's japanese colleague's...wife? not sure who did the choosing exactly...bought it for me quite a number of years ago, think in 2001 or 2002. Not sure if they made the connection hearing i liked evangelion or whether it was random...but i still find it quite meaningful

While the drawing style is quite old it is one of the better ones i've read in general, the manga is a masterpiece~~ while watching the anime after reading it seemed kinda a disappointment...but at the same time it got me looking at what happens when an anime is made based on an incomplete manga

i always love to use eva as one of those animes that started off as an anime not based on manga game or novel...but maybe its becuz it bases itself on a lot of other things from that era...
    kamikazer

Post by kamikazer on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:19 am

Kageshiro wrote:=_=;; erm....abt him mentioning the "tomare tomare tomare" (stop stop stop) its both in the TV and the movie, so i dunno what u are trying to mention there...

from what i remember, in the movie, the "tomare" part only came at the end, whereas in the TV series, it started in the middle...
    my point: he didnt get to see what really went on... oddly he seems to know what that something terrible happened in the end...

then again, i have terrible memory nowadays...
    ah... tempted for a rewatch despite having no time...

Gestaltgeek wrote:Contaminating sounds rather harsh. In the first place, the original Eva borrows alot from previous works by both Gainax and others, including Gunbuster, Nadia, Nausicaa, Ultraman, Ideon and many others. Paying tribute to other works is very much a part of geek or otaku culture, and alot of the Eva production crew then and now can be said among the pioneering members of otaku culture, so it's very much in their blood to do so. Homages are only bad if they go overboard and detract from the actual story plotting and direction of the show which I feel isn't the case here, merely additional eye candy. In the end, it is not the action, but the story themes of Evangelion that make it somewhat unique from other Anime.

i havent watched nadia, nausicaa or ultramen and many other shows that came before Eva, so i probably couldnt recognise certain homages that were paid, i guess...

perhaps i tend to associate lighter-hearted shows to be more suitable to be doing homages and not feel out if place... Eva, for me, is pretty much a serious show; dead serious during the action sequences where they tend to be very disturbing... could be feelings and expectations carried over from the TV series, so homages which appeared during action sequences seem somewhat out of place...
    Kageshiro

Post by Kageshiro on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:31 pm

see Ohma the Arbitrator~~the Zero-th or first Angel? XD or EVA unit '-01'

one of the more decent pics i could find in the manga...mind u the drawing style isn't as stylised as the present day so a lot of the other pics of him make him look stupid...

he can fly, he can shoot beams, and he's more like a giant than a mecha. The powers he uses deteriorates him though so he's not like imba all the time. What u are seeing in this pic is him growing wings...Probably the basis for EVA in the first place. Not all homages have to be funny though, there can be serious ones too...Nausicaa is definately a serious manga...possibly even more so than eva...

i would say nausicaa deserves a movie remake as well...anyways, i've got the dvd (100mins) if anyone wants to watch it at the next screening?
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:48 pm

Probably not the next Animation:R. Unofficially we try to keep a 4 year rule, that is to say we don't rescreen shows we've already screened within the last 4 years, and we screened Nausicaa almost two years ago. For our own internal screenings,sure why not?

Nausicaa remake? Miyazaki would never allow it. He doesn't seem the sort to retread his old stuff, and Nausicaa is like his baby, he probably won't let anyone else touch it either.

Post by Kageshiro on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:06 am

ah but u see...it was an on going project...he started it in 1982...did the anime in 1984 while the manga was still incomplete...and only finished the manga in 1994...so when comparing them, the anime version seems really shortened...but being the style that is recognised as studio ghibli (even though it was made b4 the studio was officially established) it might be best to leave it as it is...heavy cg is not quite their style in anycase...(but i still imagine what it would look like if given a slightly modern touch...

anyways...back to eva...i really wonder what the 4th movie end will be like...3rd is expected to finished up the tv series...and maybe a bit of the death and rebirth movie...any hope for some of eva :Gakuen Datenroku ?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:46 am