The official forum of the NTU Visual Arts Society

story ideas

wwy

story ideas

Post by wwy on Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:47 am

i'm just starting one here to provide encouragement for people to fill in whatever ideas they have... it need not be a totally fleshed out story with plotholes all covered and stuff (though that would be nice) but generally ideas, stuff that we can draw like 4komas to one-shots to epic stories.

just thinking that we can cut our teeth on making some of these ideas into comics in preparation for making a publication i guess. it's a win-win; you might get to see some of your ideas illustrated and we get exp. lololol

P.S. i'm looking at you overmage What a Face
    overmage

Re: story ideas

Post by overmage on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:34 am

I have an idea!

Ever had a professor explain something to you like this:

Question is something hopelessly complicated
    Method is ... - trails off
    Answer is blahblah

it's like the profs don't quite know how to explain how they arrived at their answer, they just jumped to the correct conclusion, like skipping all the in-between nonsense.

What if it was something special. A group of people with the ability to always jump to the right conclusion. They'd ace their exams, be pioneers in many various fields, and work in jobs as myriad as detective - one look at a clue and he 'jumps' to the conclusion of who is the killer.

There are two ways to go about it:

Shonen style, these people are the powahh, we can makes a good guy and bad guys who use their powahs for evil.

Seinen style, society has been taken over by a ruling class consisting of these people, because of their special mental ability they have become the sole lawmakers, judges, lawyers, ministers, policymakers (as they can 'jump' to the right conclusion as to what policy to map out), pretty much a dystopian future.

Somewhere in between. A bored, sometimes mathematics professor in NTU with this special ability is called upon to solve a crime. He does it brilliantly but decides he hates it and goes back to his usual boring life. Yet he's always called back as a string of brutal murders begin to force him to use his ability more and more against his wishes. His subsequent mental breakdown, as he starts drawing the 'right' conclusions which are actually wrong. A look at tortured genius, society's expectations and predestiny.

ok so i lied, three ways.

half-assed idea out of nowhere brought to you craptastically by sneezing lady ):
    laguna84

Post by laguna84 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:47 am

during the workshop chub said something about no detective conan in singapore. perhaps that's one way to go.
    the only thing i'm wondering is how to flesh out the detective stories/files. Reverse chronological order ? - start from depicting the murder then working backwards on how the murderer gets it done while trying to cover his/her tracks, quite a challenge for people who haven't killed anyone (lol)

Thai

Post by Thai on Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:50 pm

I drew a detective comic long time ago. It's like around 2000 so I don't have the sketch anymore. But the idea is basically like this:

In "Sherlock Holmes", we have a detective who can find the correct answer using deduction. After eliminating all the other possibilities, what ever remain is the right conclusion.

In my comic, the detector instead believed that different roads lead to the same place. Even if it may not actually happened like in his deduction, as long as the deduction is logical, the right conclusion can still be made.

The comic was mainly a funny comic, so I made a detector who always think of the most complicated way to explain an event, versus a criminal mastermind who always try to make thing as simple as possible. I also tossed in a police officer who follows the rule by the book and fails at every chance to catch the criminal.

The story was stopped at chapter2, though. I am not good at writing script. Very Happy
    draxander

Post by draxander on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:23 pm

overmage wrote:I have an idea!

Ever had a professor explain something to you like this:

Question is something hopelessly complicated
    Method is ... - trails off
    Answer is blahblah

it's like the profs don't quite know how to explain how they arrived at their answer, they just jumped to the correct conclusion, like skipping all the in-between nonsense.

I guess I ought to be shot if I don't know the inspiration behind this. Razz

Hmm detective stories? They're almost bound to be quite long aren't they? Pro is that we can read one case by one case and each case may be independent from the others. Con is that we'll need a lot of ideas and skills, e.g. what mystery to have, how to develop it, how to build up the story just right with enough suspense and not revealing too much, how not to be too predictable and so on.

But I think Thai has a good idea. Maybe we could build upon that idea?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:04 pm