The official forum of the NTU Visual Arts Society

Share your Anime Recommendations!

Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Share your Anime Recommendations!

Post by Gestaltgeek on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:24 pm

Well, it's the holidays now. for those of you going NEET this december, now we have alot more free time to watch Anime. The question we often face is that out of the vast sea of anime available, what series should we watch.

So we have here an Anime recommendation thread. Share with everyone what anime series is worth watching and why.

I'll start off with a few of my own.

Cromartie High School - IMO, One of the funniest anime I've ever seen, especially if you like absurdist humour. Unlike other high school comedies like Azumanga or Lucky Star, featuring an all- Cute-girl cast doing nothing, we instead have an all-male cast of gangsters and badasses (not forgetting, a robot, a horse, two apes and Freddy Mecury)....doing nothing. You hardly ever see them fighting, instead they spend most of their time having weird converstions or getting into some crazy situations. 26 episodes, 10 minutes each, makes for fast viewing. After that, check out the manga, which the anime keepes shilling every episode or two.

The Opening

Giant Robo - A 7 episode OVA from the 90s that took 8 years to finish, don't let its retro style art put you off. It's a beautifully animated series which combines heavy opera style story themes and execution with old school serial action. Also IMO, it has one of the best soundtracks in an Anime, with a full orchestra score, movie style. The naming of this show is a bit deceptive. It is actually a big tribute to the combined manga works of Mitsuteru yokoyama, including his manga "Giant Robo", Tetsujin 28, Babel II and various adaptations of chinese classics. While it is named after the titular remote controlled robot in the show, it has more Superhero action than mecha action, featuring many super powered versions of characters from Romance of the Three Kingdoms in a retro-futuristic setting.

Opening for first epsiode
    shuupi

Re: Share your Anime Recommendations!

Post by shuupi on Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:19 am

one thing on my mind right now:
    Ouran Host Club

nyahahaha <3 u guys know why!
    chibichan

Post by chibichan on Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:02 am

wahahahha animes ah?

Natsume Yuujinchou~
    Soul Eater (definitely!!)
    Kuroshitsuji <3<3<3

ah and the episodes for all the above are out too XD
    Weiliang

Post by Weiliang on Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:03 am

My top 3 recommendation:

Code Geass. Ahh, i love the artwork inspired by CLAMP. plus all the scheming and intertwining relationships between the characters, every episode is a plot, a twist, and a lie. wonderful.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan. Celebrate the hot blooded themes of yesteryear! Drills are the souls of men! lol Really, good graphics plus interesting plot plus tons of adrenalin made me finish this series in just 1 day.

CLANNAD. The first anime that almost got a tear out of me. Rather sad storyline, beautiful music and animation. Best story plot ever.

Current recommendations:

Bakemonogatari. How many anime are there where the female protagonist shoves a penknife and stapler into the male antagonist's mouth and staples his cheeks ? Super.

Hayate no Gotoku! S2 I swear the artwork and screen choreograph is getting way better. Though it seems to be taking a harem path of plot development ... well. Not as if its not expeccted.

Wolf and Spice S2 Not for anyone, i admit. But for those who have some knowledge of economics and know what they are playing with, its pretty exciting and interesting.

Waiting:
    Zero no Tsukaima S4. Whos the other "parts of gods", i wonder
    Shakugan no Shana S3. Huhuhu, the development of Yuuji ...
    Kageshiro

Post by Kageshiro on Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:17 am

hmmmm need more....obscure anime titles~~~~~

while not quite obscure, Lucky Star and Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei are 2 comedy/gag anime series that is a must watch ^^ lucky star especially since a lot of ppl get put off from the 1st few minutes as they are talking about food ... not for everyone i guess but its fun to watch nonetheless...

ok to keep it short i should just say that most of the series done by kyoani (kyoto animation) and SHAFT are worth.

KYOANI TITLES
    Full Metal Panic Fumoffu/The Second Raid (TSR)
    Air Kanon Clannad and Clannad Afterstory
    Lucky Star and OVA
    K-On! (omg this one is so overflowing with blob moe...their characters top the character ranking charts simply becuz of the amount of blob moe-ness in this series...while not the most interesting or well done series...its a series that can kill just by being moe...)
    Haruhi was an interesting series
    Haruhi's second season is...interesting in an artistic way -_-;; u might appreciate it if u are an art student wanting to see the same day/episode in 8 different ways...otherwise known as the endless 8 arc (actually 8769 times in the novel or ard there)

SHAFT TITLES
    Bakemonogatari
    Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei all series
    Maria+Holic
    and a few more that i heard were gd but haven't got ard to watching...

As for obscure titles...
    KaleidoStar 1st and maybe 2nd season is better, about performance acrobatics (something similar to a circus) but more importantly on the importance of working hard to make your dreams come true. Very imspiring anime imo. (not to be confused with Ginban Kaleidoscope)
    which reminds be...Kaleidostar was animated by GONZO (in 2003 O_O) but lately a lot of GONZO animation titles while good...tend to have shifted to more fan-service type animes...

GONZO fan service animes
    Bakuretsu Tenshi:Crazy burst angel
    Sunabouzu (desert punk)
    Rozario vampire
    Strike Witches (omg this series is so filled with typical moe elements its scary...uniform/mecha-musume/weapon wielding mahou shoujos/wearing only a uniform top and exposing their pantsu/animal ears and tail when they use their mahou powers/all erm.....sizes from pettan to..../and all in a "unit"(like some idol club or something)
    Witchblade
    Kurogane no LINEBARREL
    and most recently....Saki

not to say they don't do some other decent animes as well...
    shangri-la
    basilisk
    tower of druaga
    N.H.K ni Yokoso! (welcome to the N.H.K) IS A MUST WATCH!!!! for anyone who wants to find out about hikikomori issues lol
    Samurai 7
    Vandread (oh man this series is nostalgic)
    and many more~~

think i'll end my list at that for now...sry i didn't give a detailed explanation on each series...there are actually alot of other series that are good....
    like rozen maiden/eyeshield 21/one outs/bamboo blade/black lagoon/chobits/battle doll angelic layer/.hack// /crap....and many many more but i feel lazy to list them out for now...need a category first before i can start listing them properly.....

OH yea Macross F is another good series to watch even if u hate mecha animes, since the focus isn't on the mecha so much as the songstress (utahime in japanese) ^^

think i'll end it as this for now...
    Stifler

Post by Stifler on Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:31 pm

I'm surprised you didn't put EF ~a tale of memories~ and EF ~a tale of melodies~ under the titles by SHAFT, Kage. Those two were brilliant.

Also, don't bother watching Rozario Vampire. You would be much better off reading the manga instead.

And yes, CLANNAD was great. CLANNAD is life.
    Kageshiro

Post by Kageshiro on Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:11 pm

ah ef ... its not that i didn't remember about it...i know the anime...but i can't exactly recommend what i haven't watched...but i tried to get ard this by saying most of the animes from SHAFT and KyoAni and a few other companies were good...or iconic...hmmm ef doesn't exactly follow SHAFT's more recent style right? like zetsubo sensei maria holic bakemono negima!? and some others...

and yea... i only watched like the 1st 2 or 3 eps of rosario, but the manga artwork looks better even though i haven't read it...

i'm one of those that have watched a lot of anime but there are also a lot that i know/hear about but nvr get ard to watching.

strangely...some obviously fanservice-y anime like Princess Lover is actually somewhat decent, i think ef falls into categories like... sola?

other recent animes i found decent or unique was maybe like... H2O: foot prints in the sand, Shikabane Hime, got some more but i forgot...

there's always Fate/Stay night, evangelion, love hina, Akikan(i only watched ep 1....but the Melon figurine is very nice ^^)

Karano Kyoukai and Shingetsutan Tsukihime are stories set in parallel universe (somehow i like these animes where they "recycle" characters but the storyline setting is changed a bit...ok i guess like the clamp series and tsubasa...

(crap i really hate how i can go on and on....)

other types of animes i find interesting are those that have "loose connections" between them... e.g. battle doll angelic layer is actually a prequel to chobits for those of you who don't know.

while i do watch alot of genre types, i tend to favour those closer to magic/super natural more... Rental Magica was ok i guess but i kinda like the Nanoha anime series~~ while not terribly great overall...i've got this thing for ultimate atks that simply pwns everything~~ seeing a ship firing a high lvl beam and a gundam/mecha firing something like that is not nearly as amazing as a mahou shoujo firing enough magic power to equal theirs.... size vs damage output. (Starlight Breaker ftw~~~) there is also mai otome series (and mai hime) that falls into this mahou shoujo category...also another of those small frame char with large magical power/speed whatever ^^ (i also like the negima manga series but it is more mahou shounen for the main chara) somehow i prefer the idea of magic knight or something along those lines where magic users (mahoutsukai) do dun just stand there being protected while casting high lvl spells, but are right there in the middle of battle, fighting it out in intense rapid exchange of atks.

oh another thing abt animes i don't watch or don't recommend...i tend not to watch long series animes as its hard to maintain my interest in it...its not to say that long series anims are bad...its just that the storyline doesn't seem fresh after a while.

As always my posts get very messy...sighs...need a more organised way or listing out animes to recommend... either by catergories (preferred) or by animation studios
    kamikazer

Post by kamikazer on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:04 pm

here's my list...
    i have been into anime for only about 3 years... so any comparisons i make are only based on what i have watched, which is not much... so i could be mistaken.

Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Sacred Spirit)
    - By Production I.G.
    - Animation quality is extremely high, if not the highest i've seen so far. Possibly the best of IG, comparing GitS:SAC, Toshokan Sensou and Eden of the East. not exactly the same style as KyoAni or SHAFT, so cant really compare though.
    - Story is properly written but by no means fantastic... just simply properly written. Pacing can be quite slow for some.
    - Music by Kawai Kenji. Excellent in building the mood of the show. actually imparts a very "grand" feel to the show.

Dennou Coil
    - By Madhouse
    - Animation quality is high and consistent. non-mainstream character design, i believe; i could label it as plain and simple. the only other Madhouse show i've seen is Paprika but that was a few years ago, before i was really into anime, so i cant compare.
    - Concept of Augmented Reality (AR) is the foundation of the show, which makes the show interesting and where they built the story upon.
    - Story is very good. exciting and compelling in the first half of the show, but losses a bit of steam in the middle, while still being good. unfortunately, it losses more steam at the back... in end they gave up relying on established mechanics (of the world), so some plot devices felt a little contrived. Dennou Coil does explore a certain themes in the show, so this adds production value as opposed to watching a normal story.

Being a fan of the 3 key VN adaption by KyoAni, i feel compelled to ditto others on this titles. KyoAni being who they are, Animation quality obviously expected to be high... with the exception of Haruhi season 2... (Shame on you, KyoAni)

i compare the 3 amongst themselves.

For those who may not know, these are emotionally heavy stories. be prepared to cry.

Air
    - the first arc is quite ok, the second arc is quite emotionally heavy, and the last is just downright tragic. ~Gao~
    - of the 3, this feels the most complete, without a hint of any form of contrivance.

Kanon
    - of the 3, this has a set of most lovable heroines. each heroine has a few unique attributes that make its very fun to watch. each heroine also has a unique background and story, unlike Air, where are all 3 girls involve a mother-daughter relation story.
    - Emotional Rollercoaster. ~Uguu~ they make u smile an laugh at the start of character's arc, and then u cry at the end of it. and then u repeat the cycle for another arc.
    - i like at animation quality of this the most. the eyes of the Kanon girls have the most brilliant sparkle compared to Air or Clannad.
    - the voice actors of Kanon are excellent at doing verbal utterances. ~Unyuu~ ~Ahaha~
    - contains some minor elements of contrivance, which i found a little hard to ignore, which kinda spoilt an otherwise excellent production.

Clannad (includes After Story)
    - this show makes me too emotional to write an objective recommendation... so... JUST WATCH THIS! and BE PREPARED TO CRY!
    - the strongest theme-based stories i have ever seen! the theme is family and Clannad does an excellent job exploring it.
    - has stronger elements of contrivance than Kanon, which is harder to swallow than Kanon's. but luckily, they are not in the main arc. this is an otherwise insanely excellent production... nearly perfect for me.
    - Clannad must be watched in proper sequence, the whole point of the first season (aka Clannad) is for the second season (aka After Story). watching one without the other is pointless. After Story without the background of Clannad would not have the same impact.

Up next:
    Gainax productions. i havent seen everything they made, but most of what i have seen, i either like it or love it. they may not always have the consistent animation, but their directorial style and they way they do things are just insanely entertaining. u have to watch it for yourself. Gainax are a bunch of nutcases, but dont get me wrong, they are good in making things fun.

FLCL
    - i couldnt really understand the story, but what the heck! its damn fun to watch. the show tend to portray some scenes in a literature sense, so those who know how to analyse literature may be able to appreciate it better.
    - excellent rock soundtrack. its all part of creating the whacky mood of the show.
    - contains a lot of sexual innuendos, also all part of the fun. not sure they count as fan-service though.

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi (Mahou Shotengai)
    - a parody show laden with references. every episode is a parody of a different theme. those who like Lucky Star and Pani Poni Dash should like this too.
    - the usual Gainax wackiness is here.
    - does actually have a proper storyline and character development. but Gainax decided to screw all that, giving an unsatisfactory ending.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    - the Gainax style of doing things is becoming very hard for me to put to words. U HAVE TO WATCH IT FOR YOURSELF.
    - interesting concept and mecha, with shounen elements. the mechas just get larger and larger.
    - Gainax seem to like to break conventions, and they did so here, i believe. Killed off a main character midway in the show, while the first 2/3 are fun and wacky, the last 1/3 was pretty dark in mood.

some other shows to ditto...

Welcome to the N.H.K.
    - this is essentially a documentary/commentary. Topics includes Eroge/Galge (basically hentai games), Multi-level marketing and Hikkikomoris. also touches on how the human mind and emotions work.

works by SHAFT, directed by Shinbo Akiyuki.
    - i have only seen very few SHAFT productions but Shinbo Akiyuki seems to have unique directorial styles not seen anywhere else.

Sorry for the very long post. i have more to recommend but i'll stop here for now. i hope its useful.

Last edited by kamikazer on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    JoanHong

Post by JoanHong on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:24 pm

Completed animes to recommend:

1. Code Geass.
    It has to be one of the best anime I ever watched. Awesome artwork by CLAMP and not-bad mecca.

2. Nodame Cantabile.
    A must if u love classical music. Artwork is not very nice but the music is awesome and will surely keep u capivated. I got both their CDs. The 2nd part of Paris-hen is coming out in Jan 2010.

3. Lucky Star.
    Meet Konata the no. 1 otaku. It's abstract but hilarious to watch. Slice-of-life anime.

4. Saiunkoku Monogatari. (For girls)
    It has tons of bishounen and it is a historical setting anime. Very enjoyable if you enjoy eye-candy.

5. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu.
    I like season 1 a lot. Season 2 would be great without the stupid endless eight arc. It's a classic to watch.

6. Kuroshitsuji.
    This is a unique anime based on London in the 19th century. Very nice artwork and interesting plot. The manga is much better than the anime though.

7. Rurouni Kenshin.
    I know this anime is really old. But it's so good it's a classic. I love the first movie. Trust and betrayal.
    overmage

Post by overmage on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:09 am

Elfen Lied.

ELFEN LIED!
    wwy

Post by wwy on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:29 am

area 88. a retro but nice watch if you can find it.

oh its about mercenary pilots shooting the shit out of each other in a fictional (middle-eastern?) country in a civil war. its half the combat and stuff and half the psychological effects of battle.
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:35 am

wwy wrote:area 88. a retro but nice watch if you can find it.

oh its about mercenary pilots shooting the shit out of each other in a fictional (middle-eastern?) country in a civil war. its half the combat and stuff and half the psychological effects of battle.

Talk about cooincidence! I am in the process of getting it right now. The OVA version that is, not the recent TV remake.

Post by yuriko on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:53 am

haha... recommendations... hmmm... Looking at the titles above la, most I know them, either I have yet to watch finished or haven start watching, but it's "deep" inside one of my HDD (harddisk-total 3) Cool

I am now thinking the ones I am currently watching and have been following the mangas now currently after the anime series finished...

07-Ghost (latest 24, tml 25 maybe)
    Tears to Tiara (latest 25, but only watched until 23)
    Hanasakeru Seishounen (latest ep 22)
    Shangri-la (latest 23, but watched until 12)haha... lazy or no time, watched the popular ones first... Wink

Others (Completed TV Series ones):
    Vampire Knight (now following the manga "very closely")
    Skip Beat (manga also)
    Shion no Ou (I have the chin manga)
    Ailison and Lillia
    Asura Cryin' (but i haven finished... Sad )
    Detective Academy Q
    Earl and Fairy (same, haven finished)
    Hunter X Hunter
    Hikaru no Go
    Kuroshitsuji (not finished)
    Macross Frontier (not finished)
    Nanoha (only season 3 I haven watched)
    Meine Liebe
    Prince of Tennis-COMPLETED (I have the full set of TV series, nationchampship series finished watching but no hardcopy yet- softcopy only)
    Saiunkoku Monogatari (I am collecting the chin novels)
    Clamp Productions: TCR, Magic Knight Rayearth (sad... I wanted to buy the dvd collection, but it seems not available in sg liao), CCS, Clamp Sch detectives.

haha... Brain-Dead now... I will update again when I can recall the titles. Cheers! Wink
    Weiliang

Post by Weiliang on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:11 pm

Oh! i forgot Read or Die.

Good artwork? Check
    Retro feel? Check
    Villians and heroes that stand out? Check
    Flashy powers? Check
    Evil villian with some hair brained scheme to take over the world? Check !!!

The combination works for me. I love the retro spy vs agent theme.
    Gin

Post by Gin on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:27 pm

yuriko wrote:
    07-Ghost (latest 24, tml 25 maybe)
    Tears to Tiara (latest 25, but only watched until 23)

Earl and Fairy
    Kuroshitsuji
    Prince of Tennis

07-Ghost and Tears to Tiara!!! I prefer the manga of 07-Ghost, but the anime is quite interesting. Tears to Tiara is one of my favourite fantasy anime. Not too draggy, good pace, interesting storyline. It's like watching a good fantasy novel made into film.

Is Earl and Fairy Hakushaku to Yousei? The art is nice, haha.

PRINCE OF TENNIS!!!!!!!! *waves Kawamura's racket*

Agreed. Kuroshitsuji manga is better than anime.
    Stifler

Post by Stifler on Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:01 pm

If you liked Tears to Tiara, then you shouldn't play the game. It was horribly boring.
    yuriko

Post by yuriko on Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:16 am

hehe... haha... games.. sorry.. i am stuck at games... joan knows... Razz
    yuriko

Post by yuriko on Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:19 am

so 100% sure... I do not touch games... sigh... but i was a bit addicted to the game that i played on Joan's psp.. tempting me to buy one psp and that game to play... but... recently i am broke... haha... will be on my christmas list or birthday list???? lol... Smile
    Gin

Post by Gin on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:06 am

Stifler wrote:If you liked Tears to Tiara, then you shouldn't play the game. It was horribly boring.

I don't play games, haha. Well, besides multiplayer fighting console games...
    overmage

Post by overmage on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:51 pm

Oh, do you play Guilty Gear then? Bridget*cough*
    Stifler

Post by Stifler on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:29 pm

Blaze Blue now. *coughRachelcough*
    Gin

Post by Gin on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:56 pm

overmage wrote:Oh, do you play Guilty Gear then? Bridget*cough*

LOL, you a shotacon? XDD I prefer Ky (love hacking with his sword) and Millia (her hair pwns, lmao). Chipp and Bridget are fine too

I also like Dead or Alive, haha...
    Stifler

Post by Stifler on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:15 am

In that case, you really should try Melty Blood, SN. I can pass it to you to have a look at next meeting, and you can see if you like it.
    overmage

Post by overmage on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:21 am

Lol no I'm no shotacon! But

Razz

Ky's character design has got to be one of the most unrealistic I've ever seen in a fighting game... and yet I love it xD

Also, draxander reminds me of Millia... her hair's just as long. ^^
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:04 pm

To quell some misconceptions on this really undeserving obscure anime, I whole heartedly recommend Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which currently holds the spot for my second favourite anime of all time.

Copy paste from our last year's animeworks reccomendation list:

"Legend of the Galactic Heroes (LoGH)
    110 Episodes / OVA / 1988 - 1997
    Genre: Drama, Space Opera, Politics
    The quintessential anime Space Opera, with its large cast , length, scope and depth of content, LoGH is one of the only Anime that can be called a true epic, involving the rise and fall of empires, conflict between different political systems and large scale space battles. If you don't mind an Anime that is heavily substance over style, LoGH will make for an extremely compelling watch."

Nevertheless, I understand why it might not be everyone's cup of tea. It's long, it's like literally watching a history textbook and can be as dry as that sounds, but still very compelling to watch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:46 am