The official forum of the NTU Visual Arts Society

what do you hope to learn?

wwy

what do you hope to learn?

Post by wwy on Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:41 pm

uh, as you all know there's going to be some teaching and some learning on our wednesday meetings until we all get to a standard that we're pleased with.

so i was wondering if we should focus on anything more specific to learn/teach. i mean given the group that we have now, it wouldn't be very productive to teach how to draw the face all over again from square one, would it?

personally though i would like to learn more on making figures more dynamic and less stiff (maybe some foreshortening tips too), as well as some other traditional takes on colouring (need some help here, adm people + thai) and making stuff look neater (but that can't really be helped can it).

so, your suggestions plz!
    Weiliang

Re: what do you hope to learn?

Post by Weiliang on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:53 am

Yes, please tell us so we know how to conduct the weekly sessions
    wwy

Post by wwy on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:56 am

Oh yeah, panelling too. I'm shit at panelling
    shuupi

Post by shuupi on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:16 am

i wanna learn weiyang's colouring style =p

like how to make the shadings and smooth look well blended (i've been relying solely on opacity thingy all my life :< which is baddd)
    wwy

Post by wwy on Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:25 pm

1. Get a tablet (preferably Wacom, but Genius apparently fits too)
    2. round hard brush, check other dynamics > flow jitter (control: pen pressure.) you may not want to enable shape dynamics (or you can, just that i don't. shape dynamics only useful for painting hair afaik)
    3. Set flow to 90% (flow and opacity is totally up to you, just play with it)
    4. ??????
    5. PROFIT!!!!

that's all i know. you should really ask thai for more info though, hahaha. you saw thai's paintings right?
    Stifler

Post by Stifler on Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:36 pm

I ... want to learn how to draw. Which I can't. Since I have no talent. lol
    overmage

Post by overmage on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:11 am

I'm not good at drawing, although I guess I'm ok with post-processing. For me, I'm really interested in storylining.

Yeah, kinda weird, but well, I like telling stories. If I can't draw them lolicons, at least I can pen the story about them in a school with just one male teacher. Whoops.

Of course, getting my own drawing standard back to anything resembling respectable would be good, too. But I would really like to learn how to adapt a storyline to panelling, and then collaborate with somebody with a kickass sense of style, to make a kickass comic short. :3
    wwy

Post by wwy on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:06 am

overmage wrote:

Yeah, kinda weird, but well, I like telling stories.

you know, i was thinking if we could start a separate thread for story ideas. i'm somewhat interested in hearing more about your stuff, actually. i mean, it would come in handy if we were to do a doujin rite?
    overmage

Post by overmage on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:56 pm

I just got a new idea, called Nightmare. I'm deciding between posting it and sending a PM to whoever is interested. Shonen, btw, although it may extend somewhat into seinen...
    Gestaltgeek
    Admin

Post by Gestaltgeek on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:47 pm

Perhaps you can bring it up during Comics Ensemble's get together session on Wednesday. Much easier that way, as you can meet the actual artists and see who is interested or best suited to your story idea. I myself have a few ideas that I would like to run by, though they are a bit more in the vein of western indie comics, and a tad on the experimental side.

Post by wwy on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:38 pm

overmage wrote:I just got a new idea, called Nightmare. I'm deciding between posting it and sending a PM to whoever is interested. Shonen, btw, although it may extend somewhat into seinen...

i don't see why anyone would have a problem with you posting story ideas though... just start a new thread, lest we digress from this one
    Weiliang

Post by Weiliang on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:57 pm

Dun be shy! share your ideas with me, we can see what we can make out of it ! we lack story writers, so your contributions will be highly appreciated

Thai

Post by Thai on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:59 pm

wwy wrote:personally though i would like to learn more on making figures more dynamic and less stiff (maybe some foreshortening tips too), as well as some other traditional takes on colouring (need some help here, adm people + thai) and making stuff look neater (but that can't really be helped can it).

so, your suggestions plz!

wwy wrote:Oh yeah, panelling too. I'm shit at panelling

Foreshortening scares the hell out of me, too. Every time I try, there'd be error somewhere.

I have some knowledge about coloring, composition, body language and story-telling through picture. Most of the things I know come from book and experience, though. I'll be happy to share with all of you.

BTW, I have some good books about drawing and making comic, maybe I'll bring them along next time.

wwy wrote:1. Get a tablet (preferably Wacom, but Genius apparently fits too)
    2. round hard brush, check other dynamics > flow jitter (control: pen pressure.) you may not want to enable shape dynamics (or you can, just that i don't. shape dynamics only useful for painting hair afaik)
    3. Set flow to 90% (flow and opacity is totally up to you, just play with it)
    4. ??????
    5. PROFIT!!!!

that's all i know. you should really ask thai for more info though, hahaha. you saw thai's paintings right?

OK, I use Corel Painter, so I color this way:

-Use Bristle Oil brush - 30 for large area (for the middle tone)
    -Use Bristle Oil brush - 20 for medium area (for highlight and shadow)
    -Use Detail Oil Bursh - 10 for details (metal highlight etc.)
    -Use Blender - Just Add Water to blend colors (rarely, since the oil bursh will blend colors by default)

Basically I only use the brushes above with default setting.

overmage wrote:I'm not good at drawing, although I guess I'm ok with post-processing. For me, I'm really interested in storylining.

Yeah, kinda weird, but well, I like telling stories. If I can't draw them lolicons, at least I can pen the story about them in a school with just one male teacher. Whoops.

Of course, getting my own drawing standard back to anything resembling respectable would be good, too. But I would really like to learn how to adapt a storyline to panelling, and then collaborate with somebody with a kickass sense of style, to make a kickass comic short. :3

It's great to have stories. I love drawing comics, too, but sometime I can't think of anything to draw. I'm better at drawing than writing a good story.

Our group has people that have strong potential in diverse sides, if we combine our strength, I think we can finish a comic with ease.
    draxander

Post by draxander on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:06 pm

^ This may be slightly off topic, but where can I see your works, Thai? Very Happy

Thai

Post by Thai on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:39 pm

I don't have any gallery online Very Happy Too lazy for that

Anyway, I'll upload my painting on the other topic

So please an eye out Very Happy

Helix

Post by Helix on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:46 pm

I want to learn colouring to! I wanted to use copic markers but its freakin expensive!(So i'll settle with digital painting but like no personal touch
    T-T)

Good panelling, composition and the flow of clothes is impt too i guess. I tried a couple of times but it looks clutstered or unatural.

And maybe how do you convert a pencilled and inked image to one which you can work on the computer and produce a comic-standard picture? Be it coloured or using screentones Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:47 am